Natural Remedies For Depression – The Top Five!
Depression is a complicated illness. Different natural depression remedies will be effective for different people because the underlying cause is likely different in each of us. For people struggling with depression, natural remedies for depression are great to integrate into your life because they may just take the edge off.
Integrate more and more and you may find yourself dealing with life much more easily.
1. Fish Oil:
Our brains need the right balance of fats to be healthy.
- Unfortunately in the standard western diet, most people consume far too little of the beneficial Omega 3 fatty acid, a building-block to a healthy brain.
- Fish oil is high in Omega 3 fatty acids and may well just help alleviate your depression.
- Talk to your doctor about how much to take but typically people take 1-4 grams daily. Add more high Omega 3 foods to your diet such as salmon and mackerel.
2. B Vitamins:
B vitamins actually help turn the protein in your food into serotonin:
- Serotonin is a “feel-good” hormone that is also raised with common antidepressant medications.
- Researchers have found that B12 and folate deficiencies are implicated in depression.
- These nutrients also tend to help antidepressant medications work better.
- Ask your doctor for a plasma homocysteine test and take a high-quality B complex vitamin.
Just as supplements such as fish oil and B vitamins may bring you relief, so too may food itself.:
- In a study of over 5,000 foods I found about 50 high in depression-fighting nutrients.
- Whole grains, seafood, and more exotic choices such as beef liver top the list. Integrate these into your meal-planning to improve the nutrient density of your diet.
It is impossible to stay in front of your depression if you are not sleeping:
- Lack of sleep increases inflammation in your body; inflammation is linked to depression, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Talk to your doctor if necessary about sleep aids or supplement tools that aid sleep (such as 5htp).
You have heard it before and you will hear it again now.
- Exercise increases the level of serotonin in your brain.
- The problem with this natural depression remedy is that depressed people do not tend to exercise.
- Your best bet is to start an exercise routine when you are feeling well and use it to try to keep yourself out of a down cycle.
Integrate these natural remedies for depression as you can. Over time you will likely find your depression to be more manageable. You may even live depression-free.
Liked the article? Share the love!